Friday, October 19, 2007
around here

1. my house stinks. it has had this smell before and i can't ever tell where it is coming from. i burn candles, i scrub the floors, i shake out the rugs, i have method plug-ins in the kitchen (gingerbread scent, so my son keeps thinking i'm baking, such a mean trick), i have poured vinegar down all the pipes....but it still stinks. i had a theory the last time that there must be a dead bird in our chimney. it eventually went away, so i thought i was right, but again? how often do birds die in one's chimney?

2. my husband has been a good sport about the mini van. i mean, it is bad enough being a dorky mom, but isn't a dorky dad even worse? :) we know there will be times when he will have to drive it. we are keeping the suburban, so it won't be that often, but it will happen. so i am thinking i might have to get silver. isn't silver better for a guy? could i be over thinking this whole thing? :) i do appreciate your support and advice. thank you!

3. i don't like halloween decorations. except for pumpkins. (especially the white ones!) so i have been buying lots of pumpkins. i got bumpy ones and lopsided ones and multi-colored ones, all for outside. it looks a bit like a pumpkin farm out there.

4. it is cloudy here today. i hadn't seen a cloudy day in so long. the gray is so beautiful. but come on rain!

5. i am going to sew today. some seat cushion covers.

6. i did a lesson on painting wood and distressing it in my class this past week. i will post what i did, someone had asked me about it.

7. no, i will not post my haircut. too embarrassed. :)

8. i need some flowers for my windowboxes and for on the porches, but i have been waiting it out because of our drought. i don't like mums. they die too fast. i am going straight to pansies. white ones, i think.

9. i just went to the gap and bought a bunch of shirts that are about six sizes bigger than "my size." i know that sounds weird, but they feel so comfortable and i love that!
i think they look good that way too, loose and free. i got a bunch of different plaids and stripes, really a great shirt. check it out. :)

10. my children are both home today and my daughter has been listening to princess christmas music all morning. i am actually enjoying it.

11. eleven is my favorite number, so i have to think of one more thing to say. oh, here's something, i have decided i am going to do a brown themed christmas tree this year. natural fibers (muslin, jute) and rich brown velvet. maybe a touch of blue in there (can't resist) and lots of textures, but nothing sparkly. i am going to give sparkly a rest.

okay, that's all. hope you have a great weekend. :)
  posted at 8:47 AM  
  13 comments



13 Comments:
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Barb said...

A silver van might be better for resale down the road...just a thought.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I love white pumpkins and I think your idea of the natural Christmas tree is beautiful!

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger MsKL said...

Try Ozium spray for the odor. I buy mine at Walgreens. I've found the tall thinner bottle works better than the bigger one for some reason. I think it's two different manufacturers. It doesn't smell great, but the smell of the product even goes away real fast. Pricey for deoderizer, but it works great! :)

You must've bought up the supply at Gap. They're sold out. lol.

Christmas plans already? Wow, you're good.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Meg said...

You have my sypmathies about the smelly house problem. And I think silver is a good choice. The Christmas plans sound lovely. Do you know, I look around all the time for Christmas stockings like yours...I would love to find a set just like them. Happy weekend, hd!

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger curlyq said...

Have you checked to make sure you don't have a bad potato somewhere. I found one in my pantry the other day, it was disgusting.
Anyway love your blog.
curlyq

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger CarolinaDreamz said...

My minivan is Silver with Champagne interior. Yes, I think the Silver is the nicest to look at, if you go with metallic colors..

I'm going brown, too.. with rich chocolate corduroy! (If I can find it!)

Loved your list.
~Heidi

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger ukrainiac said...

Be sure to post pictures of your Christmas tree. Ours is nearly always the same -- ornaments added each year so each has its own story. I just can't bring myself to change it! (Though this year I have to give away ornaments after the holiday that belong to our daughter who is getting married in January -- last Christmas with her ornaments on the tree.)

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Kait said...

I love the natural Christmas tree. I had a burlap tree skirt last year. It was fun :-)

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger paige said...

big drag on the smell problem. my fam thinks i have a hyper sensitive olfactory nerve, so a yucky smell would drive me insane too.
yes, think silver is the more manly choice! saw one of my best buds from highschool the other day-she is such a hottie & she too drives a minivan-so you go girl!
brown tree....love it!! velvet with a little blue!! can't wait.
i'm sure bob is a winner!

 
At 7:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Turn over all your pumpkins and look at the bottom of them. That may be where the smell is coming from. I had the same problem. And was surprised to find it was a new pumpkin rotting at the bottom on my mantle.

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Bethany said...

I thought about you this morning and your minivan dilemna! I remembered to tell you that when I am one of the moms who cart around my daughter's Girl Scout troup, I'M the mom they want to go with because of my "cool" minivan!!! So it's all depends on who you talk to. My husband was opposed to driving it too, but he has his own car he's usually in. And he loves the room for road trips (or transporting large objects!! Nothing can beat a minivan but maybe a real moving truck!). That's my 2 cents worth ;)
Love your white pumpkins!!!

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Kimba said...

Just adore the white pumpkins!

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Farmgirl Cyn said...

Our house stank a few weeks ago. Could not, for the life of me, figure out where it was coming from, except the kitchen smelled particularly bad. My ah ha moment came when I opened the bottom drawer of my stove and found a seriously decomposed, maggot filled, mouse in the trap Farmboy had set weeks before. Farmboy did the clean-up, needless to say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



about me



Name:
bethy
still decorating. still love blue. but i'm stronger than i used to be.

My Complete Profile


Design Happens
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cottagebethy. Make your own badge here.
good neighbors
  • meg
  • ashley
  • lisagh
  • elizabeth
  • jennifer
  • katherine
  • mel
  • libby
  • holly
  • cindy
  • kim
  • kellie
  • jolene
  • autum
  • kim
  • jen
  • cammie
  • alicia
  • pat
  • posy
  • anna maria
  • liquid sky
  • heather
  • turkey feathers
  • pam
  • good stuff

    previous posts

    archives

    credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Blogger

    Meter: