Tuesday, October 02, 2007
unnecessary roughness

my husband and i went out to lunch yesterday and we ran into cvs afterward to get my son a two pocket folder with brads (a special request from his teacher) and saw that the little minute clinic on site was offering flu shots. there was no line, so we thought it would be a great time to get our shots over with. the nurse was an older lady who looked gentle enough. ha. she gave my husband his shot. he didn't flinch. it was my turn. she unwrapped the sterile packaging from the needle as i rolled up my sleeve. she was aimed to fire when she said all grouchily while inspecting my arm and twisting it back and forth, "you don't have any meat on your bones." i felt i had met hansel and gretel's fate as she repeated it several times and actually shook her finger at me. my husband came to my defense, "she just ate her chinese food and mine, so that should help (isn't he sweet?)." then the nurse said, "well, i should have used the child's size on you, but since this one is already open...get ready, this is going to hurt." i was about to tell her where i do have some "meat" (maybe she didn't notice since i happen to sit on most of it), but as soon as i started to speak, she jabbed me with such force that i had to hold on to my chair not to fall over. what in the world?? now, this is the third year i have had this shot and i don't remember it ever hurting that bad, and i am no smaller than i was last year or the year before that, so i'm just not buying that it is MY fault for having skinny arms. i am kind of thinking the pain has something to do with the delivery? what do you think? good grief.

so to the nurse who must live in a candy house somewhere in a nearby forest...how about not stabbing me with the needle next time? or better yet, why don't i just tell you where you should stick it...i had some ideas. :)

and the image above...also for u. upside down baked brie from dinner a few nights ago. yum.
  posted at 11:28 AM  
  17 comments



17 Comments:
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Meg said...

homedaisy, your little blog brings me joy every day. Thank you for this funny little story and the upside down brie, which must have been delish. :)

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Bethany said...

The Brie looks delicious... the shot, well, I would have ran away before she could say anything! I was hoping you weren't going to say you contracted the flu from it and that's why the photo is upside down!!!

 
At 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh skinny arms...my dream...i'm pea green with envy. i'd take a shot in the arm daily for skinny arms.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Lorilu said...

1.Looks and sounds yummy

2. OUCH!

3. This is not a problem that a nurse will be telling ME anytime soon! ;)

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Dena said...

All that and she didn't even give you any milk and cookies to "fatten" you up? Sheesh, what a witch...well, it is the season for them! You poor thing, I hate shots and can just imagine how much that must have hurt :(

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger paige said...

bethy you are a riot. if you lived next door i would have to come over for a daily laugh!
signed....a very sweet nurse who wouldn't dream of ever doing such a thing!
xo

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger paige said...

oh & ps...why do you get to eat baked brie for dinner AND have skinny arms little girlie?

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Cindy said...

My daughter had a really painful flu shot about 3 years ago. It was her first flu shot and I told her she wouldn't feel a thing. She is so afraid to get another one that I feel bad for her and let her go without it. I told her yesterday that we will both be getting them this year but now after reading this..I don't know... I really think it has to do with the delivery! What a mean lady!

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger bethy said...

yes, i might have skinny arms, but i am telling you, on me,it all goes south. it is still there! :)

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger msemeraldapple said...

Hi! I am a long time reader of your blog and a really big fan! I have just started posting my own and I hope you'll check me out! :

http://www.startingoutpreppy.blogspot.com/

I really adore you and this blog!

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Libby said...

The law student in me says: file suit against CVS.

The friend in me says: I hope your arm is feeling better.

And the food lover in me says: YUM!

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger 3 Peanuts said...

Ouch...mean needle lady!

Yum..brie looks delish!


Kim

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger karlascottage.typepad.com said...

I doubt the nurse would have problems with my arms...

 
At 3:56 AM, Blogger ~*Marie*~ said...

Your blog look so cute, I have been trying to change my post divider to a clip art divider like you little daisies...could you share with me how to do that? Thanks.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

mmm - the baked brie looks yummy!

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Rosie's Whimsy said...

This is the first visit to your blog and I must say OUCH! I'm not one to go complaining over things but this time perhaps you should make a call.....that is definitely a foul for unnecessary roughness. Poor girl!!

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Vee said...

This is my first visit to your blog...is there an echo in here? No, it really is, and I need to apologize for laughing so much. Hahahaha...sorry...that really wasn't very nice of me and that nurse...a real meanie! Hope that your arm is all better now! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



about me



Name:
bethy
still decorating. still love blue. but i'm stronger than i used to be.

My Complete Profile


Design Happens
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cottagebethy. Make your own badge here.
good neighbors
  • meg
  • ashley
  • lisagh
  • elizabeth
  • jennifer
  • katherine
  • mel
  • libby
  • holly
  • cindy
  • kim
  • kellie
  • jolene
  • autum
  • kim
  • jen
  • cammie
  • alicia
  • pat
  • posy
  • anna maria
  • liquid sky
  • heather
  • turkey feathers
  • pam
  • good stuff

    previous posts

    archives

    credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Blogger

    Meter: