Wednesday, October 24, 2007
can and can't
found this at libby's place a few days ago.

wasn't sure what to blog about, so thought i would do it too. you list five things you can do well, then five things you can't. then you have to share a tip.

i'm pretty good at:

1. saying no. we don't do a lot of extra curricular stuff. each child gets one activity at a time, we don't really do playdates and i am not a busy social butterfly. we take it slow around here. we enjoy the little things and i think that is a good thing.
2. horse. i've got a killer three point shot. i beat all the boys :)
3. love. i really love people. they might not like me. but i love them. and i pray for them.
4. shortcuts. i know the cut-throughs all over town. i like to avoid traffic lights and traffic and i like to drive slowly, so i am always cutting through neighborhoods. plus, it is so much more fun to look at the pretty houses.
5. finding stuff. lose your glasses? drop an earring? i love to look for stuff like this. once i found my husband's clear contact in a swimming pool.

things i don't do well.
1. laundry. i really stink at it. actually, i really stink at any systematic activity that has more than two steps.
2. change. summer to fall is a hard adjustment for me. so much change. new teachers, schools, routines. i'm starting to sweat just thinking about it. i like changes, but not so many at once. september totally stresses me out and i act weird. now that it is october i am totally laughing at my weird self.
3. keep a clean closet. mercy. it is bad.
4. wrap gifts. i make the biggest mess. since i have had children, i just have them do it. it looks about the same. now i can just say, "oh, the kids did it."
5. communicate. i don't always answer my phone, i am horrible with mail (too many steps, see 1), i am really bad at rsvp'ing. and i don't like this about myself. i told you, i really love people, but i am lousy at keeping up with them. i have no idea why i so stink at this. thank God for e-mail.

here is my tip. it is related to number 2 above. i would not say i am athletic because i have no endurance, but i am good at random sporty skills like basketball shooting, ping pong playing and playing catch. in every sport i do this weird thing with my pointer finger sticking up. for years when i was young, coaches used to try to change this. i still do it. so i say, go with your weirdness. have your own style, maybe you will be better for it. :)

have a great weekend.
it has been raining here for two days! we are loving it!
  posted at 6:18 PM  
  13 comments



13 Comments:
At 11:23 AM, Blogger paige said...

bethy, if everyone could practice your #1 & #3 good things, life would be great!
emjoy a cozy rainy day.
oh yeah, did the smell go away ? or worse did you ever find "it"?!

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am with you on the 1 thing per kid, being able to find things, loving people and stinking at laundry. And random athletic talent. I can shoot hoops, but I can't run to safe my life.
Have a great slow weekend!

 
At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh...i may do this too. your lists are good. how tall are you? just wondering...have a great weekend.

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger bethy said...

ashley,i love your random questions. i am 5'5". :)
and yes, do it! you too, paige and jerusalem!!

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Chris Kauffman said...

You are my kinda girls we have so much oin common, closets those are supposed to be clean , then why do they have doors??? I can't tell you how often I have to rewash things because I forgot to dry them.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Bethany said...

Bethy, you are actually shooting the ball correctly when you are pointing!!! Basketball was my sport and my Dad taught me that! If you're not pointing at the basket, it probably isn't going in. I was a quiet, shy girl but I could beat any boy in the neighborhood at horse or even one-on-one! I made the mistake of embarrassing my handsome, popular next door neighbor who happened to be one of the basketball stars in high school when I told the team I beat him...ooops. (He actually asked me out after HS!!!) I love people too (sometimes too much) but hate talking on the phone (partly because I talk too much...doesn't make sense.) I used to say I wouldn't let my kids do more than one thing...then they got older and it was almost impossible. But they know when they're involved in too much and they make that decision now!

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Dorcas said...

Hi cottage bethy, i have been reading your blog for quite some time now and love it. you are an inspiration to me. i so enjoy your honesty and your sense of humor, and your taste in style is very much the same as mine. i have borrowed a few of your ideas...hope that is okay?
keep up the great writting, i will keep reading.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Cottage Mommy said...

Fun blog....I did it myself and it was really hard to think of things I do well. We are all too hard on ourselves! I'm with you on the laundry - that is the number one thing that makes my house messy! Have a great weekend.

 
At 4:21 AM, Blogger Kari said...

I love this blog. You are so honest and fun! I have those weird athletic/sporty abilities also. I always thought that maybe if I were interested in playing sports, I may be good at it. But like you it may just be the ping pong and catch. Do you ever travel around a decorate for people? Crazy question I know, but your house is adorable and I don't have that gift at all.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Cottage Mommy said...

Bethy,
I love reading your blog - so full of inspiration and good ideas. Do you mind if I add your blog to my favorites list?

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Greens and Pinks said...

I too stink at laundry and I love the one activity per kid. That's really all that's necessary I think.

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Libby said...

I will file away #1 for future reference. :)

I'm happy you did this one, your answers show a lot of self-awareness.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I can't wrap gifts either, my solution is to just use more tape! Love your lists!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



about me



Name:
bethy
still decorating. still love blue. but i'm stronger than i used to be.

My Complete Profile


Design Happens
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cottagebethy. Make your own badge here.
good neighbors
  • meg
  • ashley
  • lisagh
  • elizabeth
  • jennifer
  • katherine
  • mel
  • libby
  • holly
  • cindy
  • kim
  • kellie
  • jolene
  • autum
  • kim
  • jen
  • cammie
  • alicia
  • pat
  • posy
  • anna maria
  • liquid sky
  • heather
  • turkey feathers
  • pam
  • good stuff

    previous posts

    archives

    credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Blogger

    Meter: