Thursday, February 08, 2007
you never know what you're going to get
i drive a suburban. sometimes i wish i didn't. like when i have to parallel park. you see, we got it because we drive everywhere we go as a family and we always bring our golden retriever. but when it is just me scooting around town, i think, did we have to get such a big car? but yesterday, i was reminded why i am really glad we did.

yup, spontaneous purchasing.

just before i picked up my daughter from kindergarten i ran into my favorite (oh, it's just the dearest) little antique shop. the kind of place where you say, "hello, bonnie," to the store owner when you enter and she says, "how are the kids?" yes, these places are rare, but they still exist and they are such a treat. dear bonnie always decorates her front windows. she uses antique postcards and items that match the color of the current holiday. yesterday, she had old lawn flamingos smack in the center in all their pinkness with red wagons and red toy cars scattered all about. an outdoor valentine theme. i don't think bonnie realizes her talent. i always try to tell her how much i appreciate her thoughtful windows. anyway, i had only a few minutes yesterday, it is a fairly small store, so i can get through it quickly if i need to. i was thinking i would just get a few vintage valentines for my own valentine decor...but that ended when i saw the perfect table. the one i have been looking for. the table that needed to have at least one drop leaf, that had to sit 2 when in closed position, but at least 4 when opened. the one that had to be rectangular. the one that had to have character. there she was. right there. my little valentine. you see, with a small sedan i would have only been able to fit the vintage cards(and maybe a lamp), but with the suburban....

she's home sweet home.

and yes, i will be painting her this afternoon :)
  posted at 8:58 AM  
  21 comments



21 Comments:
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Deb said...

Beautiful table - what a great find! I love the carving on the base.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Jen Kershner said...

Oh, you lucky, lucky girl! I love drop leaf tables. There is nothing more versatile. Yours was worth the wait.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Kristy said...

Just popped in to check out your blog---so much fun stuff and great eye candy!! I am in Heidi's class as well and lovin' it! I will be checking back in on your blog often, Kristy
www.kristygussio.blogspot.com

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger jillskict said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I LOVE THE TABLE! That is just the cutest! Thank you SO much for sharing! My BF says the same thing to me on the weekends as we go from estate sale to estate sale. I often complain about my big SUV and speak about how much I miss my little VW Cabrio. Everything for a reason! Thanks for sharing, I "heart" your table!

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger ~Becca~Bluebird Rose said...

We have a Suburban too. We picked up a table with ours just last week! They are great, even if they are gas hogs! :)
Nice table, by the way!!

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Cindy said...

Very nice. I would love to see it painted!

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Tilly said...

Lovely table :-)

 
At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would like to know how you paint something like that in an afternoon? seriously...do you sand, prime, how many coats of paint, etc. i have SEVERAL things i'd love to paint...i think i need to have a painting party and provide food and drinks or something...also can't wait to see the gift package! : )

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Lorilu said...

I can't wait to see how she turns out! :)

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger SuburbanMom said...

Oh I love it - what color are you going to paint it?
I think I have decided to paint my coffee table creamy white but my chair a silver sage. ;)

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Meg said...

Good for you, Homedaisy! She looks right at home already, but with a coat of paint she'll be a true member of the family. Love it.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger JacquiG said...

Very nice table! Good find! Gotta love stores like that.

Just found your blog. Looking forward to reading through your archives

Jackie in ON

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Kim -today's creative blog said...

See? We're really not hard to please for Valentines day. I got my hutch.......a little early, but still. Better than chocolate.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Lallee said...

Thank you for reminding me why I keep my Explorer! Besides hauling the dogs and feeling safer in traffic, it's for hauling home treasures like your table. It looks great in your home BTW!

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Marilyn in NM said...

I love the table. I've been looking for one just like it for several years now. There is just DH and me and I'd love to have a drop leaf...they're so classic!

By the way, I love your blog!

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger xo Colleen (Chi-Girl) said...

Cottage Bethy, I just found your blog through your post on YTR. And I love it. Completely. Your pictures, your way of writing, your subjects...really touched me.

xo Colleen E.
http://cestmoi.typepad.com/

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Jolene George said...

What a great table! I love it! I drive a suburban too. I enjoy it for those same reasons, but agree that a small car would be fun to run errands in. I hope your next post shows it with a fresh coat of paint.

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Kim @ Twice Remembered said...

Oh, it's so pretty! It's going to look great painted, too...awesome find!

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Retroboutiques said...

Love it! I need a suburban! I'm always trying to drag this stuff around in my little car, what in the world was I thinking when I bought that????

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger k e r r y said...

It's like a totally different table! I love it - it's perfect now.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger EJS said...

I have the same question as ashley! How do you paint your furniture? I have a great pine farmhouse table on order and want to paint it...in the style you paint yours but not sure what paint type, coats, how to make it distressed...please share!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



about me



Name:
bethy
still decorating. still love blue. but i'm stronger than i used to be.

My Complete Profile


Design Happens
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cottagebethy. Make your own badge here.
good neighbors
  • meg
  • ashley
  • lisagh
  • elizabeth
  • jennifer
  • katherine
  • mel
  • libby
  • holly
  • cindy
  • kim
  • kellie
  • jolene
  • autum
  • kim
  • jen
  • cammie
  • alicia
  • pat
  • posy
  • anna maria
  • liquid sky
  • heather
  • turkey feathers
  • pam
  • good stuff

    previous posts

    archives

    credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Blogger

    Meter: