Thursday, November 02, 2006
holiday kick-off season
after halloween, it is pretty much christmas time. i know that sounds hasty to a few of you, but i mean it in a preparedness sort of way. if you are hosting guests, like i am, you know it is time to get the house in serious gear. so, i am trying to brush off this head cold for good and get started on some serious projects because i feel like i am already a day late, it is the second! as you may know, i am having thanksgiving guests, but i am also hosting a few christmas shindigs here in december. i love to have parties, but seriously, i get totally stressed out. i made a list this morning of things that have to get done. one of them is to fix up my powder room. powder rooms are very important. almost all of your guests will visit this tiny space and they will have a moment (or two??) to scrutinize your decor. my powder room is in no way ready for this. it was freshly painted when the painter was here, but that is really all it has going for it and i don't even think i like the color. i let my painter talk me into it - please don't ever do that. so, i am ready to make the small space something a little more special, a little more a reflection of my taste. the photo above is of my son's bedroom last year when i added some wood panels to give it a beadboard look. i was thinking of doing this to the powder room. the long vertical wood slats are available just like that at the home depot - no cutting (except for under windows and such). it was a pretty easy project, i just measured and glued. i am such an amateur so in one small section the chair rail is upside down! no one has noticed yet. my painter then caulked and painted with a durable trim paint to really give it a finished look. i don't know if i could make it look good enough for the tough inspection given to the powder room, so i was also thinking of polka-dotting the walls with painted wooden flowers. i can't decide, but something must be done. today, i am just going to paint the brass light fixture. you gotta start somewhere.
  posted at 8:11 AM  
  6 comments



6 Comments:
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Jolene George said...

It sounds like you've got big plans. I love how you are ready to tackle your projects instead of putting them off to the last minute. I can't wait to see your newly decorated powder room. Your decorating talent is so impressive to me.

 
At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog and your pretty house. Speaking of powder rooms, my best friend's mother used to really go to town in that room. I think it's a fun room to decorate because there are no furniture decisions. One time she painted polka dots in varying sizes on the wall and door so the door almost disappeared. That was fun!

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

OMG, we are so with you! We are hosting a Christmas Eve brunch/open house and then a New Years Eve Celebratino so we are now taking stock and pulling out the paint cans!!! I even have started listening to Christmas music for good measure!

 
At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the look of that panel. What size are the wood strips used to make it? Are they very thick? I've been thinking about doing something similar in my girls' bathroom. I'm in project mode around here too and I'm exhausted from it.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger bethy said...

i should break out the music to make sense of the madness - good idea! the wood strips are very thin and about four inches wide. they have to be thin in order to work with the baseboard molding. i place it right above the baseboard and it sticks out bit more, but not much.
:)

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger createwithme said...

Just waned to let you know that I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog. I found it a week or so ago. We've moved into a remodeled, (but not finished)house in the spring, and I have so much decorating to do. Thanks for all the inspiration!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



about me



Name:
bethy
still decorating. still love blue. but i'm stronger than i used to be.

My Complete Profile


Design Happens
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cottagebethy. Make your own badge here.
good neighbors
  • meg
  • ashley
  • lisagh
  • elizabeth
  • jennifer
  • katherine
  • mel
  • libby
  • holly
  • cindy
  • kim
  • kellie
  • jolene
  • autum
  • kim
  • jen
  • cammie
  • alicia
  • pat
  • posy
  • anna maria
  • liquid sky
  • heather
  • turkey feathers
  • pam
  • good stuff

    previous posts

    archives

    credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Blogger

    Meter: