Tuesday, November 28, 2006
mix master
after several of you posted about matthew mead, i checked out his fabulous website (which is complete with video clips - go matthew!). in his portfolio section, i found this picture(click on above photo). matthew, it was YOU!! about a year or two ago, i saw this photograph in country home magazine and it changed my design thinking entirely. you see, that white chair to the left, that's me. i'm a tried and true traditionalist, i like structure, roots, predictability. but, man, can i get bored. that's when i have to have my taste of freshness, fun, maybe even a little craziness. when i saw these two chairs side by side, i saw how home decor can put these two ideas together beautifully. so, a year or so ago, i made some changes around here. most of my home is still like the chair to the left, but thanks to matthew, here and there i have added the bang! the pow! the piece that screams, you are still fun, you are still with it, you still shop at ikea, you still know what is going on in the world outside of flea markets and antique shops. you are not boring and there is still peace.
  posted at 8:03 AM  
  6 comments



6 Comments:
At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, too funny. And so, so true. It makes it so much fun when your taste gets renewed and you see a whole new world open up to you. I have got to check this Matthew character out.

 
At 9:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That photograph speaks volumes about balancing a mixed style. I am so eclectic that most of my things are hodgepodged together. Sometimes it can be discouraging, but seeing those two chairs together is almost a sigh of relief...someone, somewhere understands. And one day my furniture will live together in peace...when I can figure out that common thread that makes it all fit together.

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Jolene George said...

You crack me up! You must show this other side of you...lets see the funky new stuff. :o)

 
At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog and love it. You are my kind of lady. I love decorating and changing things all the time. I love the look of yesterday..any yhing old and victorian. I will be back to visit often. Come visit me when you have a minute.......

 
At 4:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love a mix of things too. I love the polished with the decaying, the country with a bit of modern. It keeps things interesting.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger sugar said...

Love that blue chair. I just always have a problem committing to modern pieces. I love rustic wood with crystal chandeliers. I guess I don't feel confident about pulling in modern pieces. You've given me something to think about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



about me



Name:
bethy
still decorating. still love blue. but i'm stronger than i used to be.

My Complete Profile


Design Happens
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cottagebethy. Make your own badge here.
good neighbors
  • meg
  • ashley
  • lisagh
  • elizabeth
  • jennifer
  • katherine
  • mel
  • libby
  • holly
  • cindy
  • kim
  • kellie
  • jolene
  • autum
  • kim
  • jen
  • cammie
  • alicia
  • pat
  • posy
  • anna maria
  • liquid sky
  • heather
  • turkey feathers
  • pam
  • good stuff

    previous posts

    archives

    credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Blogger

    Meter: